Monday, July 29, 2013

Experiment 3: All The World's A Stage

This is a little late, and I've been slacking on posting my 'Project 2013' experiments. But here it is:


It's no secret that public speaking is one of America's greatest fears. But for me, performing is even scarier. I think it's because of the creative element -- you're putting something out there that means something to you on a different level than intellect, that makes you happy, that you've practiced and tried to perfect.

Anyhow, my friend and I decided we need to woman up and face our anxiety by performing at a local open mic. Since I recently started practicing tabla, and she is a fantastic singer, we met a few times and chose some songs that we thought could pair these two music elements. I can safely say her voice is much more in tune and notable than my nascent percussion skills.

But that's not really the point. The point was to get up there and try something new. And it worked. We had a great time, got plenty of audience validation, and were absolutely giddy for hours afterward. Addressing this fear was on my list for this year, and I'm excited to report it was conquered.

No comments: