Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Project 2013

Last weekend I was advised to take rest -- something foreign and undesirable in a city that I devour with my feet whenever I get the chance. But I listened, and though it was difficult, I had the time to further develop the idea that launched this blog: experimentation.

Gandhi had his experiments with truth and Thoreau with his pond and Ensler with her body and Spurlock with his health. The man who gave me the title of my blog, Chris McCandless, experimented with his mind and nature, simultaneously.

And while I would never liken myself to any of the above, I've always wanted to use this platform as a living laboratory, a space to tryout the things I'm curious about and report on the conclusion or lack thereof. So I've come up with a list of things to try this year -- a collection of long and short term projects mostly derived from practices that I think are positive and helpful. Some are more difficult than others, and some are just common sense, but I think they're all worthwhile efforts.

If I was a reader of this blog I'd exit now if I didn't share my list of experiments, but I'm not going to do that for a few reasons: I think telling everyone what process you're working on can take away from the actual ability to perceive and understand it -- too much awareness can backfire. Also, some of these are so ridiculously simple that I can see people rolling their eyes, so it's a bit of self preservation.

Nevertheless, here are some topics I will explore this year: health, sustainability, dating/relationships, art/music, writing, career, money, fear, strength, service.

I know, you can't wait for the dating part -- but believe me, I can.


No comments: