Saturday, February 12, 2011

Chalta Hai

Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.
- Mother Teresa

I've been wondering a lot lately what passion actually means. It's so easy to love writing, or love teaching children, or love yoga. But practicing any of these things every single day with an unwavering positive attitude and energy is something I still can't understand, or embody.

Some days I wake up here and I don't feel like doing anything. I want to watch TV and I want to sleep late and I miss college where I was allowed to do these things. Even a normal 9 to 5 working day seems soothing when I think of the tasks ahead of me.

Then I read about people like Paul Farmer or Gandhi and think about how all of my excuses -- from lack of sleep to stomach gadbad -- are pathetic. Sometimes I actually guilt myself into waking up, conjuring up visions of my kids sitting in the library with nothing to do.

And this is just one year. Only 12 months of trying to be my best and give all I have without regard for comforts and lack of experience and inconsistent support. How the hell do people cure Haiti of TB, build toilets, design clothes, head MNCs, or even make gourmet food every single day for decades?

If you have any suggestions on how to change the world, at least the one we know and feel, let's have a chat.

3 comments:

befor sunset,before sunrise said...

MY ANGEL..JUST AS ROME WASN'T BUILT IN A DAY,THERE ISN'T ANY EASY ANSWERS TO TIRELESSLY AND EFFORTLESSLY PURSUE ONCE DREAM OF CHANGING THE WORLD. WHILE MANY LIKE ME WISH TO,YOU ARE ACTUALLY OUT THERE BATTLING EVERYDAY.
YOU ARE THE CHANGE.YOU ARE THE ARCHITECT.

Unknown said...

I sit around and talk about these things you actually experience and write about. I feel what you feel when I see children sleeping on dividers. And I think of ways that I can make a difference while you actually do it. I am seeing more of what people do to change the world more than ever before and I am inspired. I hope I carry that inspiration a step further as you do every day.
Baba

Katie P. said...

This post hit close to home. I wonder many of the same things you wonder half a world away. I work at a job that holds tremendous weight of a mountain - I have potential to do such good; however, most days I am exhausted. Some days I wish I could just creep under my covers and just stay. Fighting poverty and lack of education in the projects of America is grueling...I can't even fathom being in India. I miss you. I want to come visit.

Katie