Thursday, May 29, 2008

Breathing through my toes

There are no locks on any of the doors here. And knowing someone for one week translates to one month in the real world. Cooking, cleaning, bathing, eating...everything is done in a cyclical community fashion.-Cue Lion King music- Nobody waits on anybody else. The accountant cleans the toilets too. The boundaries drop quickly.

There is one particular part of asana class that I really like in the Himalayan tradition. We lie on the floor, stretch to full length and imagine our breath flowing in through the crown of the head and out the soles of our feet. And then we breath from one wall of the room to the other. Then from the hill in front of us to the hill behind us. I don't usually do well with image-based exercises but this one makes me feel like Atlas -- minus the world on my shoulders.

Taking Momma's advice, I finally talked to my editor yesterday.
Me: "I'm not bored, but I'm sitting 9-5 in front of a computer checking my e-mail every 3 seconds. Please give me more work, use me, take advantage of my cheap labor!"
Her: "Well that we can do."
So I'm looking forward to loads of menial tasks and hopefully some writing practice.

1 comment:

ROK-Ultimate said...

We do the same breathing exercise. I like it, but I have a hard time maintaining focus during things like that most of the time. Every now and then I get sucked into the zone of perfect stillness and it rocks. I think Rasta boy has a cruuuush on yew.